Thursday 29 December 2011

Saying Goodbye to Shalimar, Again

My relationship with many of my closest friends is characterized by this uncanny ability we have to force ourselves to say 'goodbye' to each other multiple times a year. What this means is that we end up never knowing when we'll see each other next. In the off-chance that we end up in the same city, we rejoice at the prospects of shooting the proverbial breeze (I don't think I'd be able to do any real 'shooting' - unless it involves cameras of any sort), sharing a few meals, and saying 'goodbye' again.

Shalimar, you may remember him from this post, and I have known each other since 2006. In the five years that we've been friends, we've probably done this hello/goodbye thing at least 5 times - and all in the two and a half years since I graduated from college. I'd say we've been pretty lucky (or, at least I have been - I can't put words in Shalimar's mouth) that we've managed to be in the same city (New York, Seattle, Toronto, etc.) at the same time, a number of times. But at the same time, it's nothing like those years in college where we'd see each other (at least in class) for a couple hours a week - that is, if Shalimar showed up (sorry!).

Shalimar's been in town for the past two weeks. Having not seen each other since his extremely short trip to New York last year, and having not talked in person for more than 15minutes since that odd afternoon I spent at Vancouver's airport (after 30 hours+ of travelling, and ridiculously ill from the stomach problems I had contracted in India), it was nice to chat, and to lose horribly to him and my sister at N64 Mario Kart.

Shalimar left today. He's on his way back to the Motherland. Before he left, though, he came to say goodbye. He has this uncanny knack of saying things that make sense (and are also often things I don't necessarily want to hear). As he was leaving, he looked at me and said - yaar, apne aap mein thori si jaan daalo - smiled, turned around and got back into the car.

The statement irked me. But it's so true. I'm not sure where that jaan's gone. It's kind-of like that book. The one in which the little, happy boy loses his smile one day and, try-as-hard-as-he-can, can't and doesn't find it until he's ready to do so. 

The point of that story is, however, that the boy keeps looking for it. His family and friends Notice that he's lost his smile, and help him look for it. Lucky boy.

2 comments:

firas said...

You'll get it back! I know you will ... Based on the perso u knew you to be.

the Tsaritsa said...

I just wanna say that it's crazy that we both have a BFF named Shalimar, and we both have titled a blog post about saying goodbye to Shalimar. Coincidences! http://thetsaritsasez.com/2011/07/saying-goodbye-to-shalimar.html